Authorized vs Authorized and Captured
When processing credit card payments on Magento through Authorize.net, you have a configuration option to either:
- "Authorize" - The funds are held by the card holders bank in reserve to be collected at a future date. At that time, the merchant initiates a capture request.
- "Authorize and Capture"- The funds are transferred to the merchant right away.
When using Paypal as the processor the corresponding options are Authorization and Sale.
Download Magento Orders as Charged
To ensure that Magento orders with a credit card payment download into SellerCloud with a Charged status, make sure to configure your Magento installation in the following manner:
- Under System > Configuration > Payment Methods:
- Open the Authorize.net tab. Set the Payment Action drop down to Authorized and Captured.
- For Paypal, set the payment action to Sale.
- Set the New Order Status drop down to Processing. This setting needs to be set as such regardless of your payment processor.
Download Magento Orders as Authorized
Some merchants may not want to capture the payment until the item is shipped.
- Configure the payment methods in Magento to Authorized. See above.
- Enable the Magento Company Setting Consider Authorized orders as Charged. This setting allows you to ship the order even though payment has not yet been applied.
- Then use the following options to capture payment upon shipping:
- Auto Capture Payment - Enable client setting Charge Magento Order Payment When Shipped.
- Manually Capture Payment - On the order detail page, use the action Capture Magento Payment.
- If you allow shipping for unpaid orders - In ShipBridge, navigate Menu > Options > Scan and Ship. Enable the setting Allow processing of payments in ShipBridge. In the Scan and Ship Window, there will be a new tab - Payments. In that tab, use the the Capture Payment button to manually capture the payment.