Configuring the BackOrder Feature
- Enable BackOrder Workflow - This setting must be enabled to activate the following settings. Also, when enabled, the BackOrder quantity and the available quantity will display in the expanded Manage Orders grid (order details).
- Hide BackOrder Column in Manage Orders - will hide the BackOrder icon in the Manage Orders Grid and the BackOrderQty column on Order Detail page.
- Stop Marking Orders as BackOrder while Creating Orders - Order will not be marked with BackOrder status and will hide the BackOrder icon in the Manage Orders Grid and the BackOrderQty column on Order Detail page.
- Consider ReplacementSKU Qty in BackOrder Calculation - If an item is out of stock but its replacement SKU has stock, the order will not be marked as a BackOrder.
- Don't consider Dropship WH Qty as Available Qty for BackOrder calculation - This will exclude qty in a warehouse type "Dropship" from the BackOrder calculation. This setting is typically used when vendor qty is fed into the warehouse, but is not dropshipped. Rather, the items are actually ordered on a PO, received, and then shipped to the customer. Enabling this setting will allow you to include ordered items with qty only in the dropship warehouse to be filtered by the "Backorder" filter. The orders can then be linked to a PO and managed with cross docking in ReceiveBridge.
- Include Authorized Orders In BackOrder Calculation - By default, only paid orders are considered for calculating BackOrders.
- Include Unpaid Orders In BackOrder Calculation - By default, only paid orders are considered for calculating BackOrders.
- Use Warehouse-Based Backorder Calculation - This function will calculate backorder per product, per warehouse. It will not do the calculation for any FBA, Interim, or Untested warehouses.
- Enable per OrderItem based BackOrder in PickList -
- Mark Order as OK to Ship when added to PickList -
- Update BackOrder status on Order Status Change -
- Use Payment Date Instead of Order Creation in Backorder Calculation - Will use the payment date in backorder calculations, meaning that payed orders with backorder status will take priority over those without payment.
- Priorize Fully-Shippable Orders in Backorder Calculation - This setting is very useful when dealing with multiple backorders with different quantities. It will try to allocate the available quantities to the order with the minimum required quantity that can be fulfilled. It will try to do it for the oldest orders first. For example you have an order with 40 items, you have 10 on hand and another order for 10 comes later. With this setting it will allocate the quantity to the second order instead of reserving it for the first one.
- Include OnHold Orders In BackOrder Calculation - Includes orders that are OnHold in the backorder calculations.
- When an order is created, split, or items added to an order, the BackOrder status and qty is determined immediately on all related orders. Other qty adjustments update BackOrder status periodically throughout the day.
- When inventory becomes available though a PO Receive, the BackOrder status and qty should update immediately on related orders. Other qty adjustments update BackOrder status periodically throughout the day.
- When qty becomes available it is applied chronologically to order, with inventory becoming available first to older orders.
You can also email the customer, notifying them of cancellation or delay in shipping. An email template can be created for this purpose, and emails can be sent out automatically when a BackOrder occurs. This is a two step process:
- Under “Settings” select “Email Templates.” (You can also do this under Company Settings > toolbox > Email Settings > Email Templates) Add a template to reflect cancellation because item is out of stock.
- Under Company Settings open the toolbox and select Email Settings > Email Template Assignment. This assigns an email to be sent when encountering a given property. Scroll down to OutOfStockInventoryNotice and select template. The email will be sent out when an order gets marked as a "BackOrder".
Re-Allocating BackOrder Quantities
Sometimes you need to reallocate a backordered item on one order to fill backorder quantity on a different order. To do this you need to edit the backorder quantities on both of the orders.
BackOrder Qty for Kits
When a backorder contains components that needs to have allocated backorder quantities they will also display on the grid.