Configuring Back Order Feature
- Enable BackOrder Workflow - This setting must be enabled to activate the following settings. Also, when enabled, the back order quantity and the available quantity will display in the expanded Manage Orders grid (order details).
- Hide BackOrder Column in Manage Orders - will hide the BackOrder icon in the Manage Orders Grid and the BackOrderQty column on Order Detail page.
- Stop Marking Orders as BackOrder while Creating Orders - Order will not be marked with BackOrder status and will hide the BackOrder icon in the Manage Orders Grid and the BackOrderQty column on Order Detail page.
- Consider ReplacementSKU Qty in BackOrder Calculation - If an item is out of stock but its replacement SKU has stock, the order will not be marked as a back order.
- Don't consider Dropship WH Qty as Available Qty for backorder calculation - This will exclude qty in a warehouse type "Dropship" from the backorder calculation. This setting is typically used when vendor qty is fed into the warehouse, but is not dropshipped. Rather, the items are actually ordered on a PO, received, and then shipped to the customer. Enabling this setting will allow you to include ordered items with qty only in the dropship warehouse to be filtered by the "Backorder" filter. The orders can then be linked to a PO and managed with cross docking in ReceiveBridge.
- Include Authorized Orders In BackOrder Calculation - By default, only paid orders are considered for calculating backorders.
- Include Unpaid Orders In BackOrder Calculation - By default, only paid orders are considered for calculating backorders.
- When an order is created, split, or items added to an order, the back order status and qty is determined immediately on all related orders. Other qty adjustments update back order status periodically throughout the day.
- When inventory becomes available though a PO Receive, the back order status and qty should update immediately on related orders. Other qty adjustments update back order status periodically throughout the day.
- When qty becomes available it is applied chronologically to order, with inventory becoming available first to older orders.
Managing Back Orders
You can also email the customer, notifying them of cancellation or delay in shipping. An email template can be created fr this purpose, and emails can be sent out automatically when a back order occurs. This is a two step process:
- Under “Settings” select “Email Templates.” (You can also do this under Company Settings > toolbox > Email Settings > Email Templates) Add a template to reflect cancellation because item is out of stock.
- Under Company Settings open the toolbox and select Email Settings > Email Template Assignment. This assigns an email to be sent when encountering a given property. Scroll down to OutOfStockInventoryNotice and select template. The email will be sent out when an order gets marked as a "back order".
Re-Allocating Backorder Quantities
Sometimes you need to reallocate a backordered item on one order to fill backorder quantity on a different order. To do this you need to edit the backorder quantities on both of the orders.
Example: Order X has 0 on backorder and order Y has 1. To update this you need to mark order X as backordered and mark order Y as not backordered and edit the quantities.