Creating an RMA (Return Merchandise Authorization) Overview
Create the RMA
- Open the order and select Manage RMA from the action menu.
- Create a new return by completing the required fields - quantity to be returned, reason for return and description.
- Optional - add a note to the RMA by pressing the Create Notes button.
- Optional - Add a document to the RMA by open the action menu and selecting Manage Documents. Add or delete documents.
- Click Continue. An RMA number will be generated for the order.
- Email return instructions to customer by clicking on link at the top left. Or use the action Send RMA via Email.
- The customer's email address on the order will populate in the email address field. Amazon and Buy.com will redirect the email to the buyer's real email.
- The email will default to the email template assigned to RMAs on the Email Template Assignment page. Other templates will be available for selection from the template dropdown. You can also simply write or edit the instructions straight into the editor.
- To email automatically, enable Client Setting - Auto Send email when RMA Created.
- To create a return label and email it to the customer, go to Create a Return Label.
Receive the RMA
- When the merchandise is actually returned, select Receive Return from the action menu.
- Enter the quantity received and select the receiving warehouse. You may want to create a unsellable warehouse for returns.
- Press Save. The inventory movement will be noted as an OrderReturn on the Inventory movement history. The item cost on the order will automatically update to "0".
Resolve the RMA
- On the RMA window select a resolution option from the drop-down menu and click Continue.
- If you choose to replace the item, for example, select the resolution to Replace. On the following page, enter a note why you are replacing the item, and click Save. A replacement order with all the order information, including the address and item, will be created. Click on the link to access and manage the replacement order. The replacement order price will default to a full discount.
- If you decide to refund, click on the Set Resolution to Refund. On the next page, enter the refunded amount. You must enter a reason for refunding an order. Click Save. To process the refund click on the Refund Order link to open the refund order page.
- If you created a replacement order and then changed your mind and decided to refund, an option will appear to allow you to void the replacement order from the Refund Resolution page.
- On the Exchange resolution page you can enter an exchange SKU with which to exchange with the returned item. A replacement order with the new item will be created. The replacement order will assume the sale price of the original order and be fully discounted.
- Enable client setting Enable RMA Item Approval Status.
- On the RMA detail page, there will be a dropdown column for Approval status (located next to the Resolution column).
- Status defaults to "Undecided".
- Select Approved or Rejected as the status for each item.
Close the RMA
- When you have finished with the RMA, set the status on the RMA to Closed. You can also enable a client setting to automatically close RMAs when the resolution has been updated.