the order has not been shipped (or can still be set to unshipped)
and you wish to partially (or fully) refund payment as
compensation for delayed delivery, you will need to enter the
refunded amount as a discount in the order. Otherwise, the system
will see the order as only partially paid and will not allow
Refund an eBay Order
Refunding an eBay order is a two step process: Opening a dispute to get a commission refund, and refunding the order.
- On the Order Detail page, open Action Menu and select Open/Manage Dispute.
- Select "Buyer and I have agreed not to complete the transaction". Another dropdown will display.
- Select "Buyer has returned or will return the item for a refund".
- Press open dispute. When the dispute is settled, eBay will refund the commission to you.
- Adjust the commission amount on the order by clicking on the commission value in the P&L tab and editing the amount to zero in the pop up window.
- Adjust the transaction fee amount on the order by clicking on the fee value in the P&L tab and editing the amount to zero in the pop up window.
- On Order Detail page open Action Menu and select Refund
- The regular Manage Payments page
opens, where you will need to select a refund method. The refund method must
match the payment method.
- Enter a refund amount and click Submit.
- When the payment was made through PayPal, a refund will likewise be generated
- If you are issuing a partial, or even full, refund but still
plan to ship the item, you need to check the Add the Refund as a Discount to the Order checkbox. This is because, for non-wholesale customers, you are unable to ship without full payment
Refunds for payments made through Paypal
Refunds for Paypal payments can only be made withing 180 days from when the payment was processed. After 180 days you will need to refund directly from your Paypal account. Additionally, if the payment was made witt a coupon or gift certificate, you will be able to issue a Full Refund only, not a partial refund. Read more about Paypal's refund policies here