You can apply different methods of Item Cost Calculation when analyzing Profit and Loss for an order. The analysis can be based on the items’ Site Cost, Average Cost, or Last Cost. The configuration is managed by the Order Profit & Loss Calculated Using client setting.
Item Cost will be calculated in your order’s P&L based on the сlient setting mentioned above and the value of the Item Cost at the time the order is created in Sellercloud. Later, you can change either Items’ Cost or the Cost Calculation method, and regenerate the P&L report to display a more current value of the Order’s Cost.
Manage Order Item Cost
You can configure how the Item Cost will be calculated on your order’s Profit and Loss tab – based on item’s Site Cost, Average Cost, or Last Cost by following the steps below.
- Go to Settings > Client Settings > General Client Settings.
- Navigate to the Reporting section and select the requested method under the Order Profit & Loss Calculated Using field. Alternatively, use the search field to find that option.
- Click the Save icon.
Calculate Using Site Cost
The Site Cost can be used when calculating the order’s Profit & Loss. You can manually set the Site Cost for a product by following the steps below.
- Go to Catalog > Manage Catalog > open the product.
- In Toolbox, select Prices > Edit.
- In the Price Manager panel, enter the Site Cost and click Save.
- Alternatively, you can enter the Site Cost via a bulk update.
Calculate Using Average Cost
Average Cost can be used when calculating the Order’s Profit & Loss. To see the method currently applied in P&L, go to Orders > Manage Orders > select an order > Toolbox > Profit & Loss. Hover over the Items Cost value, and the method name will appear (see figure below).
Calculate Using Last Cost
When the Last Cost is selected, the Item Cost in Profit & Loss is determined by the cost specified on the last Purchase Order that you received.
Related Client Settings
|Order Profit & Loss Calculated Using||Use this option to select the item cost calculation method to be applied in Profit & Loss report|
|Update Product SiteCost Based On PO LastCost||Enable this option to automatically update the product’s Site Cost by its Last Cost indicated in the last PO that you received|
|Update SiteCost when updating AverageCost||Enable this option to automatically update the product’s Site Cost once its Average Cost is changed|
|Consider PO Extra Costs when Calculating Product Costs||Enable this option to include a PO’s extra costs when calculating Product Cost|
Check out this comprehensive tour on calculating and tracking item cost in Sellercloud’s Alpha interface.
Basics of item cost
- Last Cost— Cost of the items in the last purchase order received before the order was created.
- Site Cost— The current value entered in the product summary’s Site Cost field.
- Average Cost— Cost of the units continually averaged from the price on POs at the time of receipt. If you choose Average Cost but Average Cost is zero, Site Cost will be used on the order’s P&L tab instead.
Item cost and dropship POs
Dropship POs will update the order’s item cost to the vendor’s price on the PO, even though the PO is created after the order.
Dropshipped POs that are set to not count inventory either at the PO or Vendor level (setting on Dropship Preferences on vendor toolbox Default = True) will not create an inventory movement or average cost movement record. This means they will not be factored into average cost.
Factoring PO shipping or third-party costs into item cost
PO shipping and third-party costs can be averaged into an item’s cost to give an accurate P&L report.
Example: If a product costs $50.00 and shipping costs $5.00, average cost on the product’s Purchasing page (Product > Toolbox > Purchasing) will be $55.00. If you ordered 2 units with a total PO shipping cost of $5.00, average cost will be divided between the units ordered, producing an average cost of $52.50.
- Product cost(x) + Shipping cost / Number of units
To use this feature, select Consider PO Extra Costs when Calculating Product Costs in the Client Settings.