UPC stands for Universal Product Code and is a product identification code that can be used when posting or printing product labels. When adding this product identifier to your SKUs, you can also validate its accuracy and prevent duplicates. In this article, you will learn more about adding UPCs to your products and validating them.
Set UPCs on SKUs
You can set your UPCs manually for each product or in bulk.
- Go to Catalog > Manage Catalog > Select a product.
- Enter a UPC in the UPC field, under the Identifiers panel.
To bulk-upload your UPCs, go to Catalog > Tools > Import Product Info > Bulk Product Update, and generate a template using UPC as the column header. For more information, refer to Bulk Update.
To enable the UPC validation workflow, go to Settings > Client Settings > General Settings > Security > Turn on the Advanced toggle > Check Enable UPC Validation.
To allow duplicate UPCs for Independent Kit parents, enable the Client Setting Enable UPC Validation – Individual Kit Override.
Note: The above settings will control the validation of new UPC entries only.
When saving the UPC to the product this process will verify that the UPC is unique and between 12-15 characters. Note that you can have the same UPC for another company under the same client.
Set UPC per Channel
You can manually enter a different UPC for each product in a channel, or import a populated spreadsheet to update multiple products. After you set your channel UPCs, they will be prioritized when posting products to those channels.
You can use different UPCs per channel for the same product on the following channels only: Amazon, eBay, Newegg, Sears, Walmart Marketplace, and Google Express.
- On a product’s page, go to Toolbox > Channels > Select a Channel Properties page.
- In the UPC for Channel field, enter a different value than the UPC on the main product properties page.
- Go to Catalog > Tools > Import Product Info.
- Select Import Per-Channel UPC and download the template.
- In the download file, populate the fields and save the file. Enter each channel name exactly as follows, without spaces to process the update correctly: Amazon, eBayOrder, Sears, Newegg, Walmart_Marketplace, or GoogleExpress.
- Return to Sellercloud > Click to upload file > Import.
Your import is now scheduled.
When adding a new product to your catalog you can validate the UPC or EAN by enabling the client setting (Settings > Client Settings) Enable UPC Validation. When saving the UPC to the product this process will:
- Verify that another product in the same company does not have an identical UPC. (It will not check another company under the same client.)
- Verify that the UPC is between 12-15 characters.
- Validate the accuracy of the UPC. The validity of the UPC is established if the last digit of the UPC, known as the “check digit”, confirms the accuracy of the UPC by means of a special algorithm.
To allow UPC duplication on a parent product of Independent kits, enable the sub-setting Enable UPC Validation – Individual Kit Override. This is necessary because kits with an Independent dependency are recognized as a separate product from the individual components, while they physically consist of the same products with the same UPCs.
You can use a different UPC for the same product on these channels:
- Walmart Marketplace
You can manually enter a different UPC for each product per these channels, or import a populated spreadsheet to bulk-update a different UPC for several products per these channels. After you set a product to use a different UPC, that UPC is used instead of the default UPC on the main Product Summary.
Prerequisite: This is not a default option. To activate, click Settings > Client Setting > General Settings > Enable UPC for Channel.
Manually entering different products UPCs
- In the Product Summary > Toolbox > Channel Properties > Enter the different UPC in the UPC for Channel field > Save. When posting products to that channel, this UPC is now prioritized and sent.
- Repeat for other products as desired.
Updating multiple products UPCs in bulk
- Click Inventory > Import Product Info > Update UPC for Channel.
- Click Download Template.
- Populate the columns > Save.
- When done, click Choose File > Select your saved spreadsheet.
- Click Update UPCs for channel. Your import is now scheduled. When posting those products to those channels, these UPCs are now prioritized and sent.
Important! Enter each channel name exactly as follows without spaces to process the update correctly: Amazon, eBayOrder, Sears, Newegg, or Walmart_Marketplace.