Check out how to create product variations in Sellercloud’s updated interface!
Variations refer to the relationship between products that share common characteristics with minor differences, such as different sizes of a pair of shoes, or baseball caps from different teams. Below you will find more information on variations.
Variations, Dimensions, and Values
There are three key terms associated with variations. These are variations, dimensions, and values:
A variation is a product you sell on a single listing that is available in different types, colors, shapes, etc.
A dimension refers to the different sizes or colors for that variation. For example, a dimension name could be the size, color, flavors, etc.
A value would be the color, size, flavor, etc. of the dimension. For example, if the dimension is the color, the value could be white or blue; or if the dimension is the size, the value could be small, medium, large, etc.
Refer to the table below for a visual explanation of the relationship between these terms.
Create an N-Matrix (variation)
- Go to Settings > N Matrix.
- Press Add New Dimension.
- Complete and save the following fields:
- Click on Manage Values to edit values (such as colors, sizes, flavors, etc.).
- Add a new product to your catalog with a name that reflects that it is a parent product of the variations. (In this example, “MatrixParent,” as shown below in Step #7.)
- On the parent product’s Product Summary, click Toolbox > N-Matrix > Matrix General.
- Choose the dimensions to add to this product (if necessary, add a new dimension) > Continue (at bottom of page).
- Copy and paste a product SKU into its corresponding Product ID to build it on a parent and child scheme.
- Learn how to set images on variations.
Create an N-Matrix in bulk
You can create variation dimensions for an N-Matrix in bulk by downloading an Excel template with pre-defined column headers, and then populating the file and importing it:
- Click Settings > N Matrix.
- Click Download Template.
- Open the downloaded template and enter the desired values. Note: The Manufacturer and Product Type columns are not required.
- Save the template file with a unique name.
- On the N Matrix Dimensions page, click Choose File > find the file and click Open.
- Click Import dimensions. Your new dimensions will appear in the grid.
Split an N-Matrix
Import N-Matrix products
You can create new matrixes in bulk using a file import, or add products to an existing matrix using the same file import.To import a new matrix configuration, do the following:
- Click Inventory > Import Product Info > Import Product N-Matrix.
- Select a File Type from the dropdown > click Download Template.
- In the ParentProductID column, enter the Matrix Parent SKU. You must enter the parent SKU in every row that has a matrix child of that parent. Important! The Matrix Parent must exist in your SellerCloud catalog before importing.
- In the ProductID column, enter the product ID of the variation product. If the Product ID matches an existing SKU in your catalog, that SKU will be configured as a matrix child. If the SKU does not exist, the import will create it and configure it as a matrix child.
- In the remaining columns, enter the values of the dimensions associated with that variation. In the image below, there are two dimensions – Color and Size – and on the product rows are Red, Green, Small, and Large, respectively.
- If you have more dimensions for this n-matrix, add more columns with that dimension name as the header. If dimensions or values entered do not exist in SellerCloud, they will be created with this file import.
- Save the file with a unique name.
- On the Import Product N-Matrix page, find and select the file.
- Click Import Products Info. The import creates a queued job to create the n-matrix configuration.
Add products to an N-Matrix
The easiest way to add products to an existing matrix is to export the existing matrix, and then import it with the updated products:
- Open the Manage Inventory page and search for the Matrix.
- Select the Matrix Parent > Action Menu > Export N Matrix > Go.
- Add the products to the file as instructed above, then save the file.
- Click Inventory > Import Product Info > Import N Matrix (neither checkbox is required).
- Choose File > and then click Import Matrix.
Products can be added on the interface as well on the Matrix properties page. Check the “Show All” checkbox to reveal all available options. You can add more dimensions and values there as well.